[BC] Napoleon - was Ring tones for Verizln 'LG' cellphone

Steve Ordinetz hykker
Mon Jul 31 11:53:47 CDT 2006

Gary Peterson wrote....
>> 1. They're Coming to Take Me Away by weird Al Yancavik
>     Yeah, it was by Napoleon the XIV.
>     The "B" side of the promotional "white-label" 45 was the
> same track backwards.
>
>    " I was a "Top-40 DJ" in the deep south at the
> time, and I played it to death, too.
> Grady "
>
> IIRC, we received a letter from ASCAP or BMI indicating that the licensing
> had been terminated and we had to quit playing the record.  Some time
> later,
> it could be played again.  That's the only time I ever remember having to
> stop playing a top-40 hit for legal/contractual reasons.

I recall the song having a rather short chart life even by 1966 standards,
though I attributed it to everyone being sick of it.  Even as a 15 year
old, I'd had my fill of it after a couple weeks.  Drove my parents nuts
playing the backwards version on the B side.