[BC] Can't solve it if you don't know about it

Paul Christensen pchristensen
Mon Jul 31 08:42:47 CDT 2006

>"...pilot error), cause of problem, action taken to remedy problem.  When
>it
is fixed, engineer removes red copy from equipment, returns yellow copy
to person originating the report (to confirm what was done so he knows
he wasn't ignored), and files white copy for future reference..."

That's a great tool for documenting problems.  It also closes the loop,
so-to-speak with the person originating the malfunction report.

Taking the concept one step further, the reports form the basis for monthly
and annual statistical tracking of problems, including time off air, and
maintenance costs.   Costs can be further divided into functional area
(e.g., studio, transmitter, network, etc.) The output then becomes a driver
for creating future operating budgets.  At budget time when you're asked to
justify why you need X dollars per month for repairs, you have irrefutable
evidence to back up your data.

We used either duplicate or triplicate carbon-copy forms as well and as I
recall, we used them at RKO Radio in Chicago.  I give Warren Shulz credit
for teaching me the statistical reporting aspect.  At any point in time, he
could (and often did) present this information to management as a
justificiation for maintenance expenses.

I imagine that some stations and groups have since moved to a computerized
or web-based presentation for the collection and tracking of this data.

Paul

Paul Christensen, CPBE, CBNT
LAW OFFICE OF PAUL B. CHRISTENSEN, P.A.
3749 Southern Hills,  Jacksonville, Florida 32225
Office: (904) 379-7802   Facsimile: (904) 212-0050
pchristensen at ieee.org

.