[BC] 30/30 Lightning safety rule.

Dale H. Cook radiotest
Sun Jul 23 06:58:17 CDT 2006

At 07:06 PM 7/22/2006, Mike McCarthy wrote:

>As one  who has been on a tower as a fast approaching storm struck, I
>realize it  hard to visually watch the skies and react accordingly when the
>storm  sneaks up on the site.  Hence the need to monitor the WX if there is
>a risk for storm activity.

Mike makes an important point. That is why I keep paying $10.00 per
month for a dialup ISP. Although I have broadband in all of my
studios and at home, I do not have it at any of my transmitter sites.
When working with a tower crew I use my dialup account to monitor NWS
radar in order to give the riggers advance warning of any approaching
weather problems.

Dale H. Cook, Chief Engineer, Centennial Broadcasting,
Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA - WZZI / WZZU / WLNI / WLEQ
http://members.cox.net/dalehcook/starcity.shtml