[BC] Florida Cuban STA's Interference

PeterH5322 peterh5322
Sat Jul 22 21:25:10 CDT 2006

>My recollection is a littel fuzzy on the STA's
>
>570  Tampa, St. Pete  10 kW Days
>620  St. Peter  10 kW
>WINK AM Ft. Meyers  DA due to Interference,
>WINZ Miami  10 to 50 kW. night due to interference
>610 Miami,  10 kW due to\i interference
>790 Miami, 25 kW. due to interference
>1080 Miami from 10 kW night to 25 kW. nigh due to interference
>
>There are several others I am certain  all on semi permanent  STA's

A Class A cannot cause interference to a Class B, although there is one
very specific case where such "interference" was deemed to be caused by
Class As (plural), and which a particularly fascinating remedy was found.

There are no Class As anywhere in Florida, only Class Bs, Cs and Ds.

Cuba, which for the better part of the last half century of the last
millennium had no Class As at all ... it had abrogated NARBA, hence it
thereby lost its sole Class I allocation ... received nearly as many
Class A allocations as the entire U.S. had Class I-A allocations under
NARBA, during the "Rio" treaty negotiations.

Cuba went from zero to twenty-one Class As in one fell swoop.

(The U.S. had 25 Class I-A allocations under NARBA, but we elected to
break about one-half of these down, as may are well aware).

The Cuban Class As, many of which are on former Regional channels, but
some of which are on former Canadian, U.S. or Mexican clear channels,
include some which are notified at 300 kW, but many are notified at 30
kW. All are ND-U.

Cuban Class As on former Regional channels include 550, 570, 580, 590,
600, 620, 630, 790 and 910.

So, Tampa's 570 can interfere with Cuba's nre Class A on 570 (30 kW
ND-U), but not vice versa, St. Pete's 620 can interfere with Cuba's new
Class A on 620 (30 kW, ND-U), but not vice versa, Miami's 790 can
interfere with Cuba's new Class A on 790 (50 kW, ND-U), but not vice
versa, and so forth.

I doubt if the mitigation given to those U.S. regionals, above, was
necessarily approved by Cuba, but we do request such approval from Canada
and Mexico, in the so-called "border zones". As far as I know, Canada and
Mexico reciprocate, in the "border zones".