[BC] LPFM vs. AM on FM Translators

Dan Kelley djkelley
Fri Jul 21 19:02:54 CDT 2006

>This thing with the NAB allowing AM stations (daytimers) to have
translators will never happen. As I scan the FM band in Nashville, it is
way over crowded, even in the suburban and outside rural areas of this
market, the FM band is just way too over crowded.<

I see this making sense in "as-available" situations - and makes
far more sense than the satellite rebroadcasters using FM translators.

In my days in the Four Corners region of New Mexico, the cluster I
oversaw applied and was granted FM translators for a few frequencies
within areas well-received by the primary station at my suggestion for
the hope that someday in the future, they could be used by the class C
1340 1kw-U AM in the cluster that has a coverage area that dies at
sundown...

The night programming consists of a ton of high school sports coverage
that makes no sense for its wide-coverage class C FM sisters.

This obviously is not the "solution" for every market - and again would
be on an "as-available" basis.  At the other end of the argument, it may
not be fair that this isn't offered to all signal disadvantaged AM
stations - but those owner/operator knew the "deal" when they applied or
purchased their present facilities.

dan in lansing, mi