[BC] LPFM vs. AM on FM Translators

Bailey, Scott SBailey
Fri Jul 21 07:45:32 CDT 2006

   This thing with the NAB allowing AM stations (daytimers) to have
translators will never happen. As I scan the FM band in Nashville, it is
way over crowded, even in the suburban and outside rural areas of this
market, the FM band is just way too over crowded.
  Jim Turbo, CE of WAY-FM has applied for quite a few applications in
this market, and some have been granted. He still has some waiting to be
granted, and one is located on my AM tower.  Educational Media
Foundation (a.k.a....KLOVE) has applications all over the place that
hasn't been granted as well.
  My point is that before the commission can even consider such a thing,
they need to take a good look at their database of all the translator
applications that are sitting out there, waiting to be granted!
  This was an proposal in the late 80's, for relief for AM daytimers
(stations with or without flea power at night), but the NAB shot it
down, and the FCC agreed with them.  At that time, it was the
commission's idea to clean up the AM Band by killing off as many small
town daytimers as possible, so this would allow upgrades to station that
could give major coverage in a larger market. There were too many
daytimers "shoehorned" in during the late 50's and 60's, causing
interference and preventing
upgrades.
  The NAB should do their research and propose this:

A. Allow the datytimer to switch frequencies at night to a Class C (Old
Class IV), Local Channel at night, 1230,1240,1340,1400,1450, or 1490.
What ever will work. With all these stations running 1 KW at night on
these channels, what difference does it make about interference?

B. Allow stations with flea powers to run 125 watts at night, PERIOD.
In a case like WFIF (Willie's deal), he could have 125 watts through his
directional pattern. Make WTWP (was WTOP) accept what little
interference that would cause, which in my mind, it would bother them.

C. Clean up the X-Band, and take aleast two of those channels and make
them Class C (Class IV channels for nighttime operation for daytimers.

   It's not just small o & o's that operated daytime only stations, but
Clear Channel has some daytime only stations, as well as Cumulus. Peter
Davidson's, Davidson Media operates one here in this market on 880. He
has to turn it off at night to protect WCBS-AM in NYC. As much money as
Peter's group paid for that 2.5 KW daytimer, I'm sure he would love to
see it get some nighttime relief.

Scott