[BC] X-lators for Daytimers (WAS:NAB Newsletter)

Dana Puopolo dpuopolo
Fri Jul 21 08:12:04 CDT 2006

"Pull" is all the  matters at the FCC these days...Merit and public interest
means NOTHING there!

-D

------ Original Message ------
From: "Bailey, Scott" <SBailey at nespower.com>
Subject: RE: [BC] X-lators for Daytimers (WAS:NAB Newsletter)

  Bill Barry the former owner of WCRT (was WAMB), told me that he wrote
a letter ever day to the commission to persuade them to give him a FM
translator at night, due to the Cuban interference. This was mid to late
80's.  He was granted 75 watts on 106.7. Dickie Brothers Broadcasting
(now Cumulus) had an application for a full Class A on that channel.
When Lou Dickie fired up on that channel, Bill was told to turn it off.
Bill went back to the commission, pulled some strings, and got 98.7 for
his nighttime translator.
 I was told that Bill had political pull in the FM Branch of the
Commission. It's kind of funny that down the road from that FM
translator, about 15 miles or so, he & his daughter in law has majority
interest in a full Class A (WANT-FM), on 98.9. He and a few other put
that station on in the mid 90's.

Scott