[BC] WXXI-FM Mishap

Paul B. Walker, Jr. walkerbroadcasting
Wed Jul 12 10:19:22 CDT 2006

This came from another mailing list I'm on..(not posted by me, came from
another member)

*"In case you missed it, I recently acquired an internet radio for dining
and dancing pleasure <http://tinyurl.com/jdxpo>.  It's a bit pricey, but it
does what I want it to do:  Act like a radio, not like a computer; look like
a radio, not a computer; sound like a radio, not a computer.  Well, I did
have to add some speaks to it to improve the sound, but now it's practically
perfect. *

**
*Yesterday, I was working on a project and listening to WXXI-FM out of
Rochester (I worked for the TV side in the middle 70s and I know some of the
current radio folk).  I'd been having some internal wireless network
problems, of my own doing, over the last few days, so I wasn't all that
surprised to hear the sound hiccup, stop and start again.  But then the
music started running forward, then backward, then at double speed, then
quadruple speed before it went silent and then resumed.*

**
*I didn't give it a whole lot of thought, but I'd never heard a network
problem like that before.*

**
*Within about 20 minutes, an extremely chagrined announcer quietly explained
that all the sounds heard earlier were his doing.  It seems the XXI
transmitter had gone off the air, and he was just piddling around while they
were off.  But, as he noted, he had forgotten that the on-line listeners
were still connected.*

**
*It could have been worse, much worse*

--