[BC] Dealing with IBOC hash problems

Bailey, Scott SBailey
Wed Jul 12 10:06:37 CDT 2006

We are not sure what the problem is. This is outside the hash. John
Heidelberg, owner of WVOL, and I, hired Dale Howard & Associates of
Nashville to conduct measurements on the problem, and it was taken to
them. I will be glad to email the measurements to you off list. They
were looking into it just before Xmas and admitted there was an
interference problem.  This is July and it's still there.  The noise is
not a hash type noise, but a splatter type noise caused by their IBOC
exciter. At sunset when the exciter goes off and they go to their DA
night pattern, it goes away.

Scott

-----Original Message-----
From: broadcast-bounces at radiolists.net
[mailto:broadcast-bounces at radiolists.net] On Behalf Of Paul Smith W4KNX
Sent: Wednesday, July 12, 2006 9:56 AM
To: Broadcasters' Mailing List
Subject: RE: [BC] Dealing with IBOC hash problems

Scott, arent you on 1560?  I know IBOC can trash the 1 and 2nd adjacent
pretty bad, but 5th adjacent????  I've never heard of that happening.  I
can
see the 1490 getting trashed.  The 970 from Tampa here doesnt trash the
upper adjacent too bad, but really trashes the lower 2 adjacents.  Could
be
result of assemetry (sp) in the DA causing that.  Are you in WLAC's main
lobe?  Or maybe a null?

Paul Smith
W4KNX
Sarasota, FL