[BC] Anti-Virus programs

tg@btsg.com tg
Wed Jul 5 14:59:44 CDT 2006

From: Tom Bosscher
Subject: [BC] Anti-Virus programs

     For many reasons, we are looking at an alternative to
Norton. Two systems, AVG and Panda seem to be making decent
headway. Does anyone on the list have any success or failure
stories with these two, or is there any even better
alternative ? (Other than going to Mac/Linux!)

Hi Tom,

I use AVG with great success on two rather large networks.  Some of the machines have Norton's on
them, but when the sibs run out we have, for budgetary reasons at the particular location, have
replaced them with AVG, and have experienced no problems at all.  In fact, on a couple of  machines
that had been experiencing periodic problems in the past (these had  McAffe on them) the AVG
promptly identified viruses,  that when it cleared them, the problems have not returned.  Norton's
did not see them.  I have used it for over two years now on these tow large networks (One with 40
computers and one with 65).  FWIW: Only one of these networks has had a hardware firewall on it. I
have the AV set to automatically update at about 1 AM and to run a full scan shortly after that
daily.

Tommy Gray
Broadcast Technical Services Group
http://www.btsg.com