[BC] GE Superadio III vs. IBOC hash

Rich Wood richwood
Thu Jul 6 08:53:35 CDT 2006

------ At 03:43 PM 7/5/2006, WFIFeng at aol.com wrote: -------

>Those stations used to sound excellent in analog. I guess those days are over.

I'm afraid we've been flushed down the 5KHz toilet. Get used to it.

>WABC's hash generator now effectively obliterates WVNE's signal down here.

Is WABC interfering within WVNE's protected contour? If so, they need
to pony up enough money for a campaign contribution to get the FCC's
attention.

WVNE is a bad example. It's 25Kw near Worcester, MA. It's not
receivable in Springfield, MA, about 45 miles away. I get a noisy
WABC, daytime, in Easthampton, MA. Add 45 miles and there's probably
no WABC signal at all until you get to Cape Cod or Providence where
it's a direct shot over water. I doubt WVNE's protected contour
extends into the bowels of CT. No conflict, except during critical
hours - maybe. If so, I wonder who will win. Citadel/ABC or Blount
Masscom (Mega Communications?) running religious programming? Who has
more money to pay for fair treatment? That was a rhetorical question.

>As has been said before, there is no doubt that if this thing really takes
>off, AM self-destruction is inevitable.

It doesn't even have to take off. All it needs is enough radio
stations using it - without receivers - to do major damage. Tell
listeners to throw away any good quality AM radio they may own.

Rich