[BC] GE Superadio III vs. IBOC hash

Bailey, Scott SBailey
Wed Jul 5 13:54:09 CDT 2006

Steve,
   You are correct! It wasn't the AM broadcasters. The AM stations
broadcasting in stereo did all they could to promote it, but it was just
too late. I think all along, the FCC thought that AM would go away,
especially the AM broadcasters adding FM's to their AM sticks all over
the country during the 60's & 70's, then, all they would have to deal
with was FM, as they would hope the broadcasters would turn their AMs
off, in lieu of the FM. Well, it didn't happen that way, and yes THEY
THE FCC THEMSELVES...have made a mess of the AM band, not the AM
broadcasters. I don't blame just one person in DC for this, but many
lawyers and commissioners since 1960 and up to today that have done the
damage, just like they have screwed up the EAS!

-----Original Message-----
From: broadcast-bounces at radiolists.net
[mailto:broadcast-bounces at radiolists.net] On Behalf Of Steve Ordinetz
Sent: Wednesday, July 05, 2006 12:51 PM
To: Broadcasters' Mailing List
Subject: Re: [BC] GE Superadio III vs. IBOC hash

Dana wrote:

> The bottom line is this:
>
> MILLIONS of AM stereo receivers were and are still in the field NOW!
AM
> stereo
> was easy and cheap to impliment. YET..the AM broadcasters STILL
managed to
> SCREW IT UP BIG TIME!

How did the AM broadcasters "screw it up"?  In the mid-late 80s I heard
several stations promote it quite heavily.  Fact is, it was too little
too
late...by the time one standard got settled on, music on AM was dead.
No
one cared...AM had a rep as a lo-fi, static-plagued medium and few if
any
listeners were about to change their minds.  As someone else noted,
politics were a big factor here...had the FCC implemented ONE standard
in
the mid-late 70s it may have delayed the decline of AM, but even back
then
the writing was on the wall....stereo wasn't gonna save it.