[BC] GE Superadio III vs. IBOC hash

Dana Puopolo dpuopolo
Wed Jul 5 13:51:34 CDT 2006

No...

There's STILL  millions of radios out there. Do you know how many AM stereo
stations there are in RI?

NONE!!

Do you know how many there are in Boston?  ONE - a 250 watt daytimer!

In Los Angeles?  ONE - Radio Disney (and that was as of a year ago - they
might be IBOC by now).

The BROADCASTERS  screwed it up...by poor/non-existant promotions, by (loss
of) content and in myriad other ways.....

-D

------ Original Message ------
From: "Steve Ordinetz" <hykker at grolen.com>
Subject: Re: [BC] GE Superadio III vs. IBOC hash

Dana wrote:

> The bottom line is this:
>
> MILLIONS of AM stereo receivers were and are still in the field NOW! AM
> stereo
> was easy and cheap to impliment. YET..the AM broadcasters STILL managed to
> SCREW IT UP BIG TIME!

How did the AM broadcasters "screw it up"?  In the mid-late 80s I heard
several stations promote it quite heavily.  Fact is, it was too little too
late...by the time one standard got settled on, music on AM was dead.  No
one cared...AM had a rep as a lo-fi, static-plagued medium and few if any
listeners were about to change their minds.  As someone else noted,
politics were a big factor here...had the FCC implemented ONE standard in
the mid-late 70s it may have delayed the decline of AM, but even back then
the writing was on the wall....stereo wasn't gonna save it.