[BC] Re: Carribean 200 kW. AM on 1605 kHz.

Kevin Tekel amstereoexp
Tue Jul 4 18:23:36 CDT 2006

Peter H. wrote:
> Australia/New Zealand did, however, sometime between 1980 and 1981, and
> that's why our protectorates in the South Pacific are on the 9 kHz
> scheme.
>
> But only those.

The FCC's database currently lists the following 9 kHz-channel stations:

567 KGUM Agana, Guam
585 KJAL Tafuna, American Samoa
612 KUAM Agana, Guam
648 WVUV Leone, American Samoa (dark)
675 KTKB Tamuning, Guam (CP)
801 KTWG Agana, Guam

However, KJAL and KUAM both have applications to move to 630 kHz, which as
previously noted is a frequency that is compatible with both 9 kHz and
10 kHz channel spacing radios.  Also, WVUV has an application to move to
720 kHz and they have already taken their 648 kHz signal off the air (they
also have an STA, which may mean they are already transmitting on 720
kHz).
All are 5 or 10 kW, non-directional day and night.

The FCC also lists 936 kHz as a valid frequency, but with no stations
currently assigned to it.  This is the "ghost" of 936 KSAI in the Northern
Mariana Islands (another U.S. territory), which went off the air in 2002.
There is one remaining AM station in the Northern Mariana Islands, 1080
KCNM -- another frequency compatible with both 9- and 10-kHz radios.