[BC] GE Superadio III

Kevin Tekel amstereoexp
Tue Jul 4 14:11:50 CDT 2006

Mike McCarthy wrote:
> That may be the case....but it could also be simply inventory being
> depleted.  The wideband mode is terrible with IBOC operation and
> GE knows it.

The GE Superadio III must be Mark Twain's favorite radio.  I've been
hearing rumors of its demise as long ago as the late 1990s.  And I
think you mean "...and iBiquity knows it".  When the Superadio III
was first introduced, AM stations in the USA were still allowed to
transmit FM-quality (15+ kHz) audio, and it was designed to reproduce
this full range in wideband mode.  The annoying hiss while receiving
IBOC stations is a consequence of iBiquity's misuse of the NRSC mask,
not a defect of the Superadio III's design.