[BC] delays on radio and TV (old timer question)

DHultsman5@aol.com DHultsman5
Mon Jul 3 15:51:07 CDT 2006

I know the entire Mutual Network radio was delayed via ET's  ( Electrical
Transcriptions) and the afternoon news from Mutual West  originated at the Don
Lee Network which fed all the west coast PST  stations.   I recall also reading
about NBC and CBS have transcription  stations for delay purposes for radio.
Later on,  this switched  from ET's to magnetic tape and delays are now done
on hard drives.

In TV the two major morning shows were NBC's Today Show and the CBS Morning
SHow with Walter Cronkite.   The Today Show was similiar to present,  it
started at 7 AM EST and ran three hours.  During the third hour on the  west coast
that added news updates for the west coast.  I never saw the CBS  Morning show
on the west coast.  But I never saw it last more than an  hour.   Jack Parr
later on did the CBS morning show out of New York  and I believe this was after
he did a similiar morning show on TV on the west  coast.

Later the TV shows were taped for delay,  Priime time was a mess for  years
with the four time zones and daylight saving time that was optional in  many
states.  Filmed shows were usually run in Eastern and Central and  later in
Mountain and Pacific out of Chicago.

I am certain that many of the old timers can relate to the ABC/NBC/CBS  TV
problems with time zones.   I seem to recall in the past 10  years hearing
inserts inserted in LA during the regular Today show with  different talent
updateing the story for the west coast.  I am not sure if  this was for NBC LA only
or the entire West Coast.

Radio Guys may recall the article showing the carousels for the ABC   four
networks that iserted commeercials in Chicago to the rest of the network  during
ABC commercial breaks for regional splits.  Of ciurse some of heard  it screw
up over the years with a bad card or dragging cart.

Dave