[BC] WLS dead cxr prob. this a.m. at ~6:50

Paul Christensen pchristensen
Sat Jul 1 14:29:45 CDT 2006

> Antenna height diversity has been used by the telco's for years on their
> microwave hops. Usually 50 ft. spacing is sufficient.

True to a limited degree, but the primary method used by AT&T and it RBOCs
since the early 1950s was simultaneous frequency-diverse systems on 4, 6 and
11 GHz links.  That combination of frequencies did a good job at keeping
100% up-time in the event of rain, fog, or other climatic changes.  A good
number of these systems are still active today as last-resort back-ups to
fiber.

Two weeks ago, I was visiting family in Northern Illinois and had a chance
to stop at the behemoth Norway, Illinois AT&T facility (father worked there
during the '60s & '70s) and was surprised to see that all the delay-lens and
horn antennas were intact and active.  If you're ever down that way, it's
worth the trip into the barren farm lands to see it.  Another site that once
linked to Norway is located just east of the WLS-AM tower, between LaGrange
and Harlem Roads on I-80 in Tinley park.

Space-diverse and frequency-diverse systems are both good alternatives to
path fading and interference problems.

Paul

Paul Christensen, CPBE, CBNT
LAW OFFICE OF PAUL B. CHRISTENSEN, P.A.
3749 Southern Hills,  Jacksonville, Florida 32225
Office: (904) 379-7802   Facsimile: (904) 212-0050
pchristensen at ieee.org