[BC] Re: HD Radio

Patrick Griffith, N0NNK / WPE9HVW AM-DXer
Sun Aug 27 14:30:42 CDT 2006

Agreed. Recalling that my old analog cell phone sounded a whole lot
better than any "digital" phone I've had since.
////////
Analog cellular isn't gone yet. I still use an analog cell phone on
Verizon. I have them signed into a public safety contract that I
originated at a Radio Shack in 1988! I don't use it much and I rarely
exceed the 30 minute monthly minimum. The 30 minute minimum costs me
about $8.30 a month. When I switch to digital I will lose that contract.
When I responded to Hurricane Georges for FEMA in 1998 mine was one of
the few phones working in the Florida Keys for several days. The digital
network was out until the cell site-on-wheels (COWs) arrived. But the
analog network remained operational throughout. My equipment is a Nokia
285 portable with a factory drop-in mobile charger / hands-free adapter
that also automatically connects the unit to an exterior antenna. It
works great.

Patrick Griffith, CBT CBNT CRO
Westminster, CO