[BC] RDS Receiver/Tuner

Rich Wood richwood
Fri Aug 25 09:24:01 CDT 2006

------ At 09:13 AM 8/25/2006, John Buffaloe wrote: -------

>I had these in San Diego and New Orleans.  They worked well.  I never read
>the text to which you refer, I just plugged them in and watched the scroll
>go by.
>
>Be sure you get Rich's approval on the car rental thingy.

I'll grant a blanket approval with the warning that the car is likely
to use magnetic levitation before IBUZ is usable in the mountains of
New England ... or wherever else there are mountains or bumpy terrain.

With the release of the not-ready-for-prime-time Polk receiver I'm
beginning to think there's a "Producers" scenario in this whole
thing. "Springtime for IBUZ and iBiquity." Produce as many inadequate
receivers at the highest prices you can hope for and couple that with
AM IBUZ that makes an AM section unnecessary.

Create so many additional "radio stations" in each market that your
analog unit ad rate goes down the toilet as agencies spread a limited
budget among twice the number of stations. I realize $19 billion
doesn't go as far as it used to but Warren Buffet might be interested
in allowing Bill Gates to give $1.6 billion in grants to little radio
companies like Clear Channel and Infinity to make the NAB's
prediction come true.

No need to worry just yet unless you're an AM station. There won't be
enough receivers among the glut of return authorizations until about
3029. The receivers are inadequate for the price and the broadcast
end of the system is inadequate. Sounds like a winner to me. We'll
need Arthur Anderson to do the accounting to make the $1.6 billion
look like something. I was going to start a business installing HDTV
rooftop antennas and add IBUZ antennas at a reduced price. Potential
customers looked at me strangely at the thought of an outdoor antenna
for a table radio. I'm looking for a charitable organization other
than the government to give grants to buy and install IBUZ receivers.
No bites, yet.

This revolution is brought to you by the citizens of the Grand Duchy
of Fenwick. It's a Peter Ustinov/Mel Brooks collaboration.

Rich