[BC] RE: DST vs Daytimers

Phil Alexander dynotherm
Mon Aug 21 12:12:10 CDT 2006

On 21 Aug 2006 at 7:56, Tom Taggart wrote:

> I'll agree with Willie.
>
> Moving up "daylight saving" time to March makes no
> sense except to some idiot politicians who waltz
> into the office around ten each day. It "saves"
> nothing, because most of us have to turn on extra
> lights to get up in the dark.

What they are trying to do is move closer to the
Euro DST change dates, possibly hoping the Euros
will move in our direction so the USA and EU will
operate at a fixed.

This hits those at the edges of the time zones hard
because the FCC makes a monthly adjustment in operating
hours on most licenses, whereas a calculation on the
date of the time change might yield a few valuable
minutes for daytime operation in the morning when
every minute of the AM drive time counts for revenue.

It will also be felt by some "full-time" stations where
significant coverage is lost while operating nighttime
during AM drive time. DST is not just a "daytimer"
issue, nor is it just an operating time problem because
73.99 is written in terms of "local time." While there
are restrictions, I wonder how many stations will not
read that far making this an interference issue as well.

> Go to: http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/RS_OneDay.html
> and enter your town to see sunrise/sunset data.

Broadcast stations may find the page below more useful
as it usually shows the times that will apply to a
license. Note I said *USUALLY* because "market uniform
hours" where the FCC has standardized daytime and
nighttime hours to be the same for all stations in a
market may cause a variance with the times determined
by Lat./Long.

<http://www.fcc.gov/mb/audio/bickel/srsstime.html>

Phil Alexander, CSRE, AMD
(a Div. of Advanced Parts Corporation)