[BC] Interesting sign-offs and Tech Difficulties

Rich Wood richwood
Mon Aug 21 10:32:53 CDT 2006

------ At 12:51 AM 8/21/2006, RokprtMike at aol.com wrote: -------

>We also had a LPTV station set up on Channel 4 from what is now the roof of
>the Fox Building where NBC uplinks the network from. It was commando
>TV at its
>  best!

That's what I'd expect. In such a serious emergency logic says drop
the rules and do what you have to to get service to the market. I had
cable and no master antenna in the building. I do know the only full
power signal available was WCBS-TV in both WTC incidents.

I didn't need a TV. I witnessed the whole second event from the West
Side Highway a half mile away. Fortunately, the wind was blowing
South, so I didn't get any of the dust and debris. To this day I
can't watch anything related to 9/11 without reliving the whole
thing. I'm told it's something like post traumatic stress syndrome.
I've never witnessed such horror in my life.

I don't know what happened between WTC and Katrina but FEMA wouldn't
let me alone. I was in the "blast zone" below 14th Street and was
offered replacement air conditioners, relocation money if I wanted it
and all sorts of assistance I didn't need. Not a day passed for weeks
that I didn't receive a phone call or letter with some offer of
assistance. To get home I had to show ID as proof I lived in the area.

The journalist in me must have surfaced because I had no fear
reaction. I spent the day doing eyewitness reports for stations
around the country. The horror comes out now when I see that
God-awful video clip of the towers collapsing.

I was very proud of my industry in the way it was handled. Arbitron
did a presentation at a convention showing the numbers of WINS
exceeding anything they'd ever seen before. Absolutely huge numbers.

Rich

Rich Wood
Rich Wood Multimedia
Phone: 413-454-3258