[BC] Re: Ignoring Station Procedures. "I Know Better"

KC4QLP@aol.com KC4QLP
Mon Aug 21 01:56:24 CDT 2006

------ At 06:23 PM 8/20/2006, Jeff Allen wrote: -------

>I don't see why the production person had the schedule anyway.  I've never
>worked for a station that you get the Production order and the schedule.
>It's always just been the Copy, run dates, cart number, what station and
>dubs to other stations if any.  The schedule is not Production department's
>concern.

Agreed. That's why it seemed so strange that an announcer would have
access to any more information than you mention. Without information
about the full or potential buys, merchandisng, remotes and the
relationship between the salesperson and the buyer he couldn't know
what was in the works.

In a very small market such as what I worked in during some former time
period, the production person may also serve as an announcer, light bulb changer,
janitor...you name it.
Basically what it boils down to is covering your butt. If the P.O said to cut
all seven spots even though that five was only scheduled to air, you cut all
seven spots onto their own cart and each given a cart number of its own.The
cart numbering would be tracked and logged with the traffic/billing dept.
If the SM later called for the other two spots to run in rotation, those
spots would be ready to roll without delay or a zillion questions asking why those
spots aren't ready.

Broadcast engineering is no different, you follow the directions, as skipping
a section or two in this line of work, the worst thing that could happen is
that you get killed or seriously hurt at the upmost worst situation!

I agree, some sales people are what some would consider towards the "loopy"
side, but they know in their own way what they are doing and how to make a sale
which equals to your pay check.

It does amaze me though in this business how many production people complain
about all of that "hard work" they have to do to cut a few handful of spots
when you have other people digging ditches, construction work and other....hard
labor type jobs.

I think in this business, to many people are getting to self centered and not
working together as closely as they should as it takes everyone working
together to make a successful broadcasting facility. Back room back stabbing and
complaining only hurts everyone in the end.

  Bob Carter - KC4QLP
Mid-Atlantic-Engineering-Services of Utica NY / Elizabeth City NC

http://www.geocities.com/midatlanticengineeringservice
WKVU-FM Utica/Rome NY,WKVJ-FM Dannemora/Plattsburgh NY,WKYJ-FM Rouses Point
NY,WRCS-AM Ahoskie NC