[BC] Interesting sign-offs and Tech Difficulties

RokprtMike@aol.com RokprtMike
Sun Aug 20 23:52:44 CDT 2006

In a message dated 8/20/2006 7:22:07 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
broadcast-request at radiolists.net writes:

Enough  of the city isn't subscribed to cable so stations scrambled to
do short  LMAs to keep a signal on the air. WLIW (21) in Garden City,
as I recall,  was used by one station for a short time. I was
surprised to find  commercial programming on WLIW. Does the FCC
require an official waiver  for a non-comm in cases of emergencies like these?

When the WTC tower was hit in 1993, a phone call or telegram would suffice.
AT NBC that was taken care of by Lou Libin instant STA's.

WNBC went up on a spare cable bird with a scroll on all of the RCA/GE
spacecraft with instructions on where to find the station. Instant  Superstation.

We also had a LPTV station set up on Channel 4 from what is now the roof of
the Fox Building where NBC uplinks the network from. It was commando TV at its
 best!

Mike Hemeon