[BC] Re: Flipped outlets

Al Wolfe awolfe
Tue Aug 15 23:16:19 CDT 2006

    Having spent more than twenty years as a commercial electrician in a
former life, maybe I can add something to the outlet orientation debate. I
have been threatened with physical violence for installing outlets either
way. It seems that old heads and union electricians like to put the ground
down while independent electricians and the new guys generally put them up.
And they believe this religiously.

    I have taken an informal survey among electricians over the years as to
why the ground should go up or down. Most thought that was a stupid
question. "Of course they go down (up)." When I asked why most just said
because that's the way it's done. One gentleman said that he wants the
right-hand terminal to be the hot one when he removes the outlet from the
wall. (Ground down)  Others said it's because it looks like a little face.
(Ground down) Another said the ground terminal is supposed to be the first
to make contact and the last to break contact. This make a lot of sense but
doesn't really answer the question.

   ( I spent one summer working in Canada and there it was 100% ground
down.)

    When outlets are mounted horizontally there was 100% agreement that the
ground should be to the left. This puts the hot wire on the bottom of the
outlet. The reason given was the one about dropping a conductive item on a
semi-inserted plug being fairly innocuous. To me this is a pretty good
arguement to put the ground up when installed vertically. At least then
there's a 50-50 chance that the paper clip will fall to the neutral side
when it falls behind the plug.

    Having spent some time in ER's and OR's most of the outlets have the
ground up. If it's good enough for the hospitals it's good enough for me.

One who has installed thousands of outlets, 98% ground UP.

Al (retired)
AKA K9SI