[BC] XLR Connector wiring and phase...

Glen Kippel glen.kippel
Mon Aug 14 12:36:48 CDT 2006

On 8/13/06, Barry Mishkind <barry at oldradio.com> wrote:
-- <snip>

        Another station discovered "by accident" that their
>         EAS box was out of phase when they went "mono" and
>         all local content was "cancelled" ...    It took about
>         three hours for that to happen, since they didn't listen
>         off air. Eventually, someone came in to work and
>         asked why there was nothing between the music.
>
>         Then there was the station that had a satellite audio
>         feed on two pots - wired out of phase. It was discovered
>         when someone in another state, listening on a "snoop line" ...
>         couldn't hear himself.
>
>         And that doesn't include the 100 kW station in LA that
>         was wired out of phase....
>
>         I could go on ... but you get the point.

------------------

That reminds me of when I was at KUDE in Oceanside, and I went to get a
haircut -- in the barbershop they had a small radio tuned to the FM.  While
they were cutting my hair, an ID came on, but it was pretty much inaudible.
Then I remembered that the phone company had been working on our program
lines the night before.  It was quicker for me to just drive to the station
and roll a pair than to call the phone company and have crummy audio while I
waited for them to fix it.

At one station, I got a little Kenwood `scope and hooked it to the board
monitor, so it would follow air monitor or program output.  Very useful.  If
there was a phase problem we knew about it immediately.  Here, I just set
the Belar stereo monitor to L-R at -30 dB and if the needle wiggles more
than just a little we know something is awry.