[BC] XLR Connector wiring and phase...

Barry Mishkind barry
Sun Aug 13 22:34:06 CDT 2006

At 05:14 PM 8/13/2006, Cowboy wrote
>On Sunday 13 August 2006 10:31 am, Burt I. Weiner wrote:
>
> >   Listen to your final product with left and
> > right summed together in mono.
>
>  Is this not still a "standard operating practice" in ALL stereo plants ?

         In far too many cases, I've noticed "talent" seems
         unwilling to listen in mono.  It isn't as "enjoyable."
         Hence, many of the stations I've seen run either
         off air stereo ... or worse ... program line.

         If that were not bad enough, more than once I have
         called engineers at various stations to report that one
         or more of their sources were out of phase. More than
         once I was met with "what's it to you?" ... or indifference.

         For one local station I even narrowed it down to one slot of
         a 3-D - and still the engineer couldn't be bothered. I was
         stunned that no one seemed even to monitor the station
         on a clock radio.

         Another station discovered "by accident" that their
         EAS box was out of phase when they went "mono" and
         all local content was "cancelled" ...    It took about
         three hours for that to happen, since they didn't listen
         off air. Eventually, someone came in to work and
         asked why there was nothing between the music.

         Then there was the station that had a satellite audio
         feed on two pots - wired out of phase. It was discovered
         when someone in another state, listening on a "snoop line" ...
         couldn't hear himself.

         And that doesn't include the 100 kW station in LA that
         was wired out of phase....

         I could go on ... but you get the point.