[BC] Audio phase monitoring

Xen Scott xenscott
Mon Aug 14 00:05:24 CDT 2006

At 08:32 PM 08/13/2006 -0700, Barry wrote:
>At 05:14 PM 8/13/2006, Cowboy wrote
>>On Sunday 13 August 2006 10:31 am, Burt I. Weiner wrote:
>>
>> >   Listen to your final product with left and
>> > right summed together in mono.
>>
>>  Is this not still a "standard operating practice" in ALL stereo plants ?
>
>   In far too many cases, I've noticed "talent" seems unwilling to
> listen in mono.
>   It isn't as "enjoyable."  Hence, many of the stations I've seen run either
>   off air stereo ... or worse ... program line.

One possible solution is a set of LED indicators such as are used on Wholer
two-channel audio monitor amplifiers.  There were four LEDs mounted
in a diamond
pattern on the amplifier.  The top LED was green and flashed with the
sum of LEFT
and RIGHT audio.  Side by side below the green LED were two yellow
LEDs which were
driven by LEFT and RIGHT channel audio respectively.  At the bottom
of the diamond
of LEDs was a red LED that flashed with the difference between the
two audio channels.
It was real obvious visually when the two audio channels were out of
phase or when
one channel was missing.

I wouldn't expect it would be too difficult or expensive to build a stand alone
version of this audio phase monitor.  The red "out-of-phase" LED could be made
real bright.

Xen Scott