[BC] Headphone polarity and bone conduction...

Burt I. Weiner biwa
Sun Aug 13 23:36:48 CDT 2006

Actually, what you had here was a classic case of cancellation or
partial cancellation due to phase shift.  The voice was arriving from
two separate sources and acoustically mixing in the ear.  One path
was from the earphone transducer itself and the other path was via
bone (and other stuffs in the head) conduction.  By reversing the
polarity of the audio arriving in the headphones you brought them
back into phase or at least, less out-of-phase.

A test you can do is to put on the headphones, open the mic channel
(in audition) and say "Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh".  As you
do, turn the headphone volume up and down.  If they are out of phase
with the bone conduction you will hear the volume go through a
null.  Not a deep null, but a an obvious null that is typically in
the lower mid range.  This can cause the talent to claim they don't
have enough earphone volume and try to turn things up to the point of
distortion.

On my remote gear I have a switch for headphone polarity that I can
flip to correct the problem when it arises.

Burt

At 03:40 PM 8/13/2006, you wrote:
>From: "Ron Cole" <rondcole at gmail.com>
>Subject: Re: [BC] Absolute Polarity (was XLR pinout debate)
>
>In the pre digital days, I had an jock that was constantly complaining about
>the off air sound of the headphones.  I could never find anything wrong with
>the off air audio feed then one day I swapped the balanced audio polarity
>and She quit complaining.  I guess she was sensitive to "absolute polarity"
>of the whole transmission path.
>That was not an issue after the Digital STL was installed, too much delay to
>listen live any more.
>
>Ron

Burt I. Weiner Associates
Broadcast Technical Services