[BC] Iowa Pirate

Rob Atkinson ranchorobbo
Fri Aug 11 17:50:18 CDT 2006

I think the key factor is public safety.  Park on the same frequency as
O'Hare west final approach and play music and you'll probably get picked up
in half an hour or less.  The nuts seem to have enough toes across the
reality line to know not to do that.

Locally there was a recent problem with someone harrassing local police with
a modified transceiver and the cops had to df him and make the arrest.  fcc
was not involved.

rob a.

From: WFIFeng at aol.com
To: broadcast at radiolists.net
Subject: Re: [BC] Iowa Pirate
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 18:37:22 EDT

In a message dated 08/11/2006 1:36:06 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
ranchorobbo at hotmail.com writes:

 > there was a ham in the L.A. area, who kept tying up vhf fm repeaters with
 >  jamming, profanity etc. -- he got fines which he simply ignored. Last
year
 >  fcc finally had to show up with u.s. marshalls who locked him up.  that
was
 >  what it took to get him off the air but the process took a few years.

Then there was the guy who plagued WFIF ... for *years*! On random days when
we'd sign-off, he'd be there either with derrogatory & personal insults
directed at staff and/or programming, or he'd play clips of Howard, or other
unsavory stuff. This "cat and mouse" game went on for about 5 years. We
recorded
everything, submitted all kinds of documents, (including his street address,
ham
callsign, etc.) etc. What it finally came down to, was a civil lawsuit
against
him. That finally silenced him after we won. (He kept doing it during the
lawsuit, only never again in his own voice, it was usually just the same
tape of
Howard.) What a nightmare, though. We ended up funding our attorney's new
house. :/

Willie...