[BC] Fused plugs - was Hot and grounded chassis

Kirk Harnack kirk
Fri Aug 11 17:42:38 CDT 2006

Dave Hultsman asked:

> While we are on the subject of polarized household AC
> receptacles and  plugs.
>  What does the NEC actually call for in the placement within
> the  wall box?
> Ground pin on top or ground pin on bottom?
>
> I have seen it in residence and commercial buildings both
> ways and they  were consistant in the buildings.  I have
> asked a couple of electricians in  the past and one told me
> that the ground pin was supposed to be on the top but  no one
> installed them that way.
>
> What does the NEC say??

I'd like to know, too.  Most recent, approved wiring has the ground pin on
top.

However, TRY TO FIND A NIGHTLIGHT OR PLUG-IN AIR FRESHENER THAT WORKS WITH
THE OUTLET THAT WAY!  The ones that have an "up" preference won't work in
"ground pin up" outlets - your scented oil ends up on the carpet, or your
cutesy nightlight spends its life upside-down.

I recently put new outlets in my house and set them all with the ground pin
DOWN.  No wiring permit - I just did it; got rid of all those fire-prone
"quick wire" outlets, too.

Kirk Harnack

Kirk Harnack, CBNT
U. S. Director of Sales