[BC] Fused plugs - was Hot and grounded chassis

Paul Christensen pchristensen
Fri Aug 11 08:35:55 CDT 2006

> E.F. Johnson used these fused plugs on, at least, some of their
> transmitters.  My Ranger and Valiant have the fused plugs you described.

Absent the possible depreciation in value, probably the safest solution is
to eliminate dual-fused plugs altogether and replace them with a three-wire
line cord with only the line side fused.  Neutral should never be fused.
Hypothetically, if the neutral fuse blows in these older line cords and if
neutral is tied to the chassis at any point (it shouldn't by today's
standards but does exist on older equipment), a condition is created where
the AC path is completed through connections external to the chassis -- like
a grounded antenna or speaker terminal.

But if you look that the evolution of older, non-polarized home wiring, many
times you never knew which side was truly neutral and no third-pin ground
existed -- which gave way to early equipment manufacturers double-fusing
their line cords.

Paul

Paul Christensen, CPBE, CBNT
LAW OFFICE OF PAUL B. CHRISTENSEN, P.A.
3749 Southern Hills,  Jacksonville, Florida 32225
Office: (904) 379-7802   Facsimile: (904) 212-0050
pchristensen at ieee.org