[BC] Re: WLW related historical question

Xmitters@aol.com Xmitters
Sun Aug 6 21:44:42 CDT 2006

broadcast-request at radiolists.net writes:

<< As we discussed here (or was it on radio-tech?) a few months ago, there
 is some pretty solid -- although not yet proven -- evidence that during
 the Cuban Missile Crisis in 1962, WLW fired up "Big Bertha" and ran it at
 somewhere between 500 and 750 kW, at the request of the U.S. government.

 Aside from that, however, the details get very sketchy.  Some say the big
 rig was kept in operational condition through the Cold War, although in
 that case "operational" might just be a nice way of saying "fully intact",
 as opposed to its current partially-dismanted condition.

The detail that I am the most interested in is, when did the FCC make the
rule that you could not use greater than licensed power during the experimental
period.

WLW details are scetchy, that's for sure. The rig simply is not capable of
750 kW carrier and 100% modulation. Twelve UV-862 triodes are simply not capable
of that much power. However I am causing thread drift of my own original
topic.

It would be interesting, depending on when the FCC made the rule I ask about,
if the WLW operations had any influence on the rule being made. Maybe back
then, lots of stations operated at greater than licensed power to experiment
with new technology of the time.

Thanks,

Jeff Glass