[BC] Re: WLW related historical question

Scott Fybush scott
Sun Aug 6 22:05:50 CDT 2006

Xmitters at aol.com wrote:

> The detail that I am the most interested in is, when did the FCC make the
> rule that you could not use greater than licensed power during the experimental
> period.

I'm looking at the FCC rules in my 1950 Broadcasting Yearbook, and
section 3.10 reads, in part, as follows (caps are mine):

"This period may be used for experimental purposes in testing and
maintaining apparatus by the licensee of any standard broadcast station
on its assigned frequency AND WITH ITS AUTHORIZED POWER, providing no
interference is caused to other stations maintaining a regular operating
schedule within such period."

Since WLW was not then authorized for more than 50 kW (and, IIRC, was
never authorized for 500 kW as "WLW," only as experimental license
"W8XO"), my read of that rule says that even then, WLW could not have
legally run 500 kW after midnight without specific authorization to do so.

(The language was unchanged in my 1959 BY, and it survives today,
verbatim, as 73.72 - http://www.hallikainen.com/FccRules/2006/73/72/)