[BC] WLW related historical question

Kevin Tekel amstereoexp
Sun Aug 6 14:25:30 CDT 2006

Jeff Glass wrote:
> I do not have any concrete proof that WLW ever operated the 500 kW rig
> at any time after they lost the privilege to use the rig full time.
> Therefore, those stories could be untrue.

As we discussed here (or was it on radio-tech?) a few months ago, there
is some pretty solid -- although not yet proven -- evidence that during
the Cuban Missile Crisis in 1962, WLW fired up "Big Bertha" and ran it at
somewhere between 500 and 750 kW, at the request of the U.S. government.

Aside from that, however, the details get very sketchy.  Some say the big
rig was kept in operational condition through the Cold War, although in
that case "operational" might just be a nice way of saying "fully intact",
as opposed to its current partially-dismanted condition.