[BC] WLW related historical question

Paul Ford wpfr
Mon Aug 7 17:41:57 CDT 2006

Kevin Tekel wrote:

>Jeff Glass wrote:
>

>>I do not have any concrete proof that WLW ever operated the 500 kW rig
>>at any time after they lost the privilege to use the rig full time.
>>Therefore, those stories could be untrue.
>>

>As we discussed here (or was it on radio-tech?) a few months ago, there
>is some pretty solid -- although not yet proven -- evidence that during
>the Cuban Missile Crisis in 1962, WLW fired up "Big Bertha" and ran it at
>somewhere between 500 and 750 kW, at the request of the U.S. government.
>
>Aside from that, however, the details get very sketchy.  Some say the big
>rig was kept in operational condition through the Cold War, although in
>that case "operational" might just be a nice way of saying "fully intact",
>as opposed to its current partially-dismanted condition.

>Cable-Connectors-Blocks-Racks-Wire Management-Test Gear-Tools and More!
>www.SystemsStore.com       Tel: 407-656-3719    Sales at SystemsStore.com

During WWII, while in high school, I was an operator at WAOV, Vincennes,
IN and, in order to receive civil defense alerts, I slept, and lived, at
the transmitter to allow 24 hour monitoring of WLW.  At midnight, they
went to 500kW as W8XO and I had to reduce the receiver volume because it
was so loud.  When they sent the test message, generally at 2 or 3am, I
had to call them and report reception.  I believe this was 1942 or 43.
Every Sunday afternoon we rebroadcast their 50kW off air signal for a
civil defense program.
Paul Dean Ford, P.E.