[BC] IBOC promos on non-IBOC stations

Kevin Tekel amstereoexp
Sat Aug 5 20:10:14 CDT 2006

On the radio station I listen to at work everyday, I'm hearing ads from
Crutchfield boasting about HD Radio and all its virtues... but the strange
thing is, this station does not broadcast an IBOC signal.  But since these
ads mention Crutchfield by name, I assume they are being paid for, as
opposed to iBiquity's own "$200 million" radio ad campaign, which makes
use of "donated" airtime on IBOC stations and thus isn't actually costing
iBiquity $200 million.

Crutchfield's ad says something like "hear what's between the stations on
the dial -- HD Radio".  But I don't need to spend hundreds of dollars on
an HD receiver to do that -- I can hear the adjacent-channel IBUZ hash
perfectly well on all my regular analog radios!