[BC] Tube transmitter do better in lightning

Stan Tacker stacker
Sat Aug 5 20:37:21 CDT 2006

I would add a "me to" on proper grounding.  I've seen installations with
point to point grounding and lightening tends to chew up solid state
equipment.  But, convert the site to a single point ground and the
lightening damage is minimized.

I've started driving in ground rods at each tower, putting a toroid on the
transmission line (at the tower end, between the transmitter and the ATU)
and another at the transmitter/phasor).  Then inside the transmitter
building, all grounds run to a central point.  Knock on wood, lightening
damage has gone way down.

Stan
-----Original Message-----
From: broadcast-bounces at radiolists.net
[mailto:broadcast-bounces at radiolists.net] On Behalf Of Mike McCarthy
Sent: Saturday, August 05, 2006 8:03 PM
To: broadcast at radiolists.net
Subject: [BC] Tube transmitter do better in lightning

Seems the ground at this station wasn't very good.  I've got several
SX series boxes and all have survived direct strikes to the towers
many times...knock on wood.

I think if the insurance company really wanted to get to the bottom
of the problem, they would have brought in their own consultant to
assess the site and ground system.

MM

At 03:15 PM 8/5/2006 -0400, Harveyesmith at aol.com wrote