[BC] IBOC promos on non-IBOC stations

Rich Wood richwood
Sun Aug 6 08:46:58 CDT 2006

------ At 09:07 PM 8/5/2006, Kevin Tekel wrote: -------

>On the radio station I listen to at work everyday, I'm hearing ads from
>Crutchfield boasting about HD Radio and all its virtues... but the strange
>thing is, this station does not broadcast an IBOC signal.

That's strange. If you buy a receiver to hear "the stations on top of
the stations" and there's no IBUZ signal, the consumer will feel
cheated. I would have thought Crutchfield would be smarter than that.
The ads should run on IBUZ stations where the receiver might be able
to receive an IBUZ signal.

>But since these
>ads mention Crutchfield by name, I assume they are being paid for, as
>opposed to iBiquity's own "$200 million" radio ad campaign, which makes
>use of "donated" airtime on IBOC stations and thus isn't actually costing
>iBiquity $200 million.

$200 million is chump change to roll out a national product, even if
it were real money. At least someone believes in the system enough to
put up some real money to promote it. They stand to make a lot of
money. Remember, there are between 600 and 800 million receivers that
must be sold before the system can make money from advertising.

>Crutchfield's ad says something like "hear what's between the stations on
>the dial -- HD Radio".

It seems they're using a variation of the HD Dominion's spots. It
actually should be "Hear the stations between the stations."

Rich