[BC] Yet another article about HDRadio

Mark Humphrey mark3xy
Fri Aug 4 12:17:27 CDT 2006

On 8/4/06, Kent Winrich <kwinrich at gmail.com> wrote:
> How old is this article?

Looks like it first appeared in January of this year.

> Also....
> *"With the layered approach, if a person listening to the second (or third)
> new HD channel of 103.5 wants to listen to the third HD channel of 95.7, he
> must FIRST manually tune down the band until he arrives at the main
> 95.7analog / digital channel. THEN, wait 7 seconds for the main
> channel to
> buffer to digital and THEN must tune up the dial two stations to FINALLY
> reach the third HD channel of 95.7 (95.7 HD-3).* "  This is not true.  You
> can tune right to the HD2 or 3 station.

On the new JVC car radio, you do need to wait several seconds before
it allows switching to the secondaries.  And secondary channels cannot
be saved in the memory presets.   I find a minor inconvenience, but
some consumers will initially be confused by this "feature".

I do agree with you that Mr. Oasis makes too much of a deal out of the
"frequencies" which are displayed.  Perhaps we should take a tip from
the rest of the world and start emphasizing names instead of numbers.
Many of the factory-installed RDS radios in European cars label their
presets by station or network name.   Although their FM broadcast
services are simulcast on many different frequencies, listeners don't
need to know the specifics -- or even care -- because the receivers
automatically retune.

Will the iBiquity standard provide an "alternate frequency" function?
I've asked several people, but nobody seems to know for sure.   I
haven't found any place to enter a simulcast frequency list in the
Dexstars or Exporters I've set up so far.

Mark