[BC] Yet another article about HDRadio

Robert Meuser Robertm
Fri Aug 4 11:28:46 CDT 2006

Kent Winrich wrote:

> How old is this article?
>
> Yet to be produced HD Radios?

He is correct. There are very few radios in the market. To not make
changes because of a small number of radios is crazy.

> ...but many of the HD Radios are unable to receive the additional HD
> channels??  HUH?
>
> Though I completely agree that radio needs to set the standard for how HD
> stations are displayed.
>
> I am sorry but the layered versus sperate band approach again seems
> like old
> news.  IMHO the seperate band approach seems rediculous.  Everyone,
> including my non technical wife completely undertands the layed approach.

I agree with the writer, I find the layered approach to be clumsy.

> Also....
> *"With the layered approach, if a person listening to the second (or
> third)
> new HD channel of 103.5 wants to listen to the third HD channel of
> 95.7, he
> must FIRST manually tune down the band until he arrives at the main
> 95.7analog / digital channel. THEN, wait 7 seconds for the main
> channel to
> buffer to digital and THEN must tune up the dial two stations to FINALLY
> reach the third HD channel of 95.7 (95.7 HD-3).* "  This is not true.
> You
> can tune right to the HD2 or 3 station.
>
> And again.....
> *"Remember, in the layered system, if a listener wants to listen to
> one of
> the new HD channels, he must first tune to a station that he does not
> want
> to listen to, before he gets to the station that he does. If that
> happens,
> the new formats on new channels of (each main frequency), become
> permanently
> associated (in the listeners' minds) with the format of the main channel.
> Another negative is that the additional HD channels will seem to not
> be on
> the air if a person attempts to tune directly to them, without first
> going
> to the analog / digital main frequency. DOES THIS LAYERED SYSTEM MAKE ANY
> SENSE? "*
>
> You do not need to tune to a station you do not want to listen to.
> Also the
> PAD comes up right away so they know the station is there.

This is not true with all radios. He is in general correct but YMMV

> Seems like this person did not do a lot of homework.  Or is working
> off of
> old information.

Maybe he is looking at things in terms of marketing and not an involved
technical person.