[BC] Yet another article about HDRadio

Kent Winrich kwinrich
Fri Aug 4 11:03:57 CDT 2006

How old is this article?

Yet to be produced HD Radios?

...but many of the HD Radios are unable to receive the additional HD
channels??  HUH?

Though I completely agree that radio needs to set the standard for how HD
stations are displayed.

I am sorry but the layered versus sperate band approach again seems like old
news.  IMHO the seperate band approach seems rediculous.  Everyone,
including my non technical wife completely undertands the layed approach.

Also....
*"With the layered approach, if a person listening to the second (or third)
new HD channel of 103.5 wants to listen to the third HD channel of 95.7, he
must FIRST manually tune down the band until he arrives at the main
95.7analog / digital channel. THEN, wait 7 seconds for the main
channel to
buffer to digital and THEN must tune up the dial two stations to FINALLY
reach the third HD channel of 95.7 (95.7 HD-3).* "  This is not true.  You
can tune right to the HD2 or 3 station.

And again.....
*"Remember, in the layered system, if a listener wants to listen to one of
the new HD channels, he must first tune to a station that he does not want
to listen to, before he gets to the station that he does. If that happens,
the new formats on new channels of (each main frequency), become permanently
associated (in the listeners' minds) with the format of the main channel.
Another negative is that the additional HD channels will seem to not be on
the air if a person attempts to tune directly to them, without first going
to the analog / digital main frequency. DOES THIS LAYERED SYSTEM MAKE ANY
SENSE? "*

You do not need to tune to a station you do not want to listen to.  Also the
PAD comes up right away so they know the station is there.

Seems like this person did not do a lot of homework.  Or is working off of
old information.