[BC] Re: HDTV

Chuck Lakaytis chuck
Thu Aug 3 16:02:14 CDT 2006

GCI is the cable company in Anchorage.  They have spent a ton of money on
inside and outside plant upgrades, getting ready of the digital milieu.
Video on demand is becoming a big business with them.  We have some
facilities at their headquarters and they have a huge server system for that
product.

They have a number of HD channels on the system to meet the demands of an
ever increasing number of customers that have big screen HD compatible
receivers.

Chuck Lakaytis
Director of Engineering
Alaska Public Broadcasting, Inc.
Anchorage, Alaska
907 277 6300
907 301 4339 (cell)

-----Original Message-----
From: broadcast-bounces at radiolists.net
[mailto:broadcast-bounces at radiolists.net] On Behalf Of Jim Wood, C.P.E.W.
Sent: Thursday, August 03, 2006 8:24 AM
To: broadcast at radiolists.net
Subject: [BC] Re: HDTV

> But, according to the FCC, for something like 81% of the population, it
> will work. That is the % served by cable or satellite. Those services will
> do the conversion to NTSC for the consumer.

Once NTSC is shut off by broadcasters, how long will the cable and sat
companies continue to "dish" it out?  They will necessarily have to provide
HDTV to be competitive, and will need all the bandwidth they can squeeze
into the cable or footprint.  Right, or am I missing something?

Jim Wood,
Brea, CA