[BC] Re: HDTV

Rich Wood richwood
Thu Aug 3 14:14:28 CDT 2006

------ At 12:24 PM 8/3/2006, Jim Wood, C.P.E.W. wrote: -------

>Once NTSC is shut off by broadcasters, how long will the cable and sat
>companies continue to "dish" it out?  They will necessarily have to provide
>HDTV to be competitive, and will need all the bandwidth they can squeeze
>into the cable or footprint.  Right, or am I missing something?

As I mentioned earlier, nearly every cable system but mine is already
heavily into HD and are even adding locals. If you look at the
figures, most people with cable watch their local channels. I asked a
friend at Comcast if that was still the case. He said, according to
customers, they watched their local channels the most.

Time Warner removed WABC-TV from their New York system in a dispute
several years ago. All Hell broke loose. Both entities need each
other. If you talk candidly with cable people they'll tell you the
really need local stations. Same with satellite.

My concern is the complaint longtime satellite users have about
degraded signals as more and more is stuffed into that 5lb. bag.

Rich

Rich Wood
Rich Wood Multimedia
Phone: 413-454-3258