[BC] Personal protection (was other subjects)

Paul Smith W4KNX paul
Wed Aug 2 14:17:02 CDT 2006

My bet is that the broadcast entity you are working for would get sued if an
engineer used a gun on their premises and someone got hurt.  I would bet
your employee handbook or contract prohibits you from bringing a weapon on
their premises.
I had a Lieutenant in the Detroit Police Dept years ago, when he signed for
my first concealed carry permit, give me some very important advice that
still applies today.  1.  If you pull the weapon you better be prepared to
use it, and if you use it, you better not miss.  And finally your life had
better have been in jeopardy.  My feeling is that if you are working in a
bad area at nite on a tx site, you should not be there alone.  There is
safety in numbers.  If there are two of you there, a single person is much
less likely to mess with you.  This is for personal safety not just from
criminals but from electrical or other accidents.  About 20 years ago, I
remember in Englewood Florida which is about 35 miles south of my location,
they found the engineer dead of elecrocution at the transmitter of a
daytimer when the staff came in the next morning.  Had someone been with
him, he may not have died.

Paul Smith
W4KNX
Sarasota, FL