[BC] Personal protection (was other subjects)

Cowboy curt
Wed Aug 2 13:38:43 CDT 2006

On Wednesday 02 August 2006 12:24 pm, Glen Kippel wrote:
> On 8/2/06, Cowboy <curt at spam-o-matic.net> wrote:

> > A gun is an OFFENSIVE weapon, not a defense of any kind.

> While I disagree about a gun being an offensive weapon only -- guns can be,
> and are, used for personal protection

 We're talking about transmitter shacks in bad areas, probably at night.

 The only way a gun ( in my opinion ) is defense in any context, is through
 intimidating a would be attacker, and thereby preventing the attack in
 the first place.
 ( not that this doesn't have value )
 If the would be attacker knows he is out-gunned, it can be an effective
 defense, but only if the attacker knows, AND cares !
 To that end, hire a local cop or two as an armed escort.
 THAT's a defensive weapon !
 In that context, I know of no more terrifying sound than a pump shotgun
 being chambered in the dark.

 To me ( and this is just my own view ) the shield carried by the knights
 of olde was a defensive weapon, used to deflect an attacking blow,
 thereby protecting the knight wielding that sheild.
 Could also be used to bludgeon the attacker, but became an offensive
 weapon in that context.

 Perhaps an effective defensive weapon could be strategicly placed
 flash bulbs, perhaps on the outside of the transmitter building, fired
 in total darkness and used to blind an assailant long enough to otherwise
 disable them, or allow an escape.
 Likewise, or in concert with, infrared goggles.

 Probably the second best defensive weapon we have, are our cell phones.
 ( the first being the one between your ears. Use that one wisely )

 Body armor qualifies as a defensive weapon.
 A shark cage, or a bullet proof transmitter shack, are defensive weapons.
 ( and cinder block filled with concrete floor to ceiling all the way around
 is not a bad idea if the area is that bad )

 This discussion, though, is really about what's going to protect
 my skinny little butt best.
 The best I can come up with is, don't go there.
 That way, I have nearly a 100% chance of survival.
 Anything less is probably unacceptable.

 Still, if any of this needs to be considered, most likely I'm not too
 terribly interested in working that site.

--
Cowboy

Armed, and extremely foolish.