"right" vs "wrong" versions (was: [BC] Why FM took off in the 70 s)

SteveOrdinetz hykker
Wed Oct 26 06:45:47 CDT 2005

  Rich Wood wrote:

>Either way it's a serious problem. At one of the syndicators I worked for
>some "wrong" versions were used. We got Hell from stations. Both from the
>PDs who recognized the wrong cut and through them from their listeners.
>Play what listeners expect, especially with Oldies or you'll pay a heavy price.

Maybe I'm just a music geek, but I cringe listening to oldies radio every
time I hear a stereo version of a song that sounds very little like the
original single.  One of the worst examples is the cheezy-sounding stereo
version of "Gimme Gimme Good Lovin'" by Crazy Elephant.  Not even the same
take as the single version.  Alas, over the years these have become the
de-facto "correct" version.