[BC] Injuries - was Early Radio Automation

Gary Peterson kzerocx
Tue Oct 25 19:31:33 CDT 2005

" You guys sure do know how to make a person miss the days (late 1960's)
of watching the reels spin, the carousels rotate and waiting to see
which reel would run-out first. Now, I'm wanting to build an old
automation "wall" again just to recreate those "good old days"! There
was something much more amazing in watching those systems than watching
a computer monitor. (Perhaps it was the knowledge that someone could
loose a finger at any time?)
Keith Hammond "

I remember seeing Carousels draw copious amounts of blood at two different
stations.  People would get too lazy to throw the switch to "manual" before
poking their paw into a tray to add or remove a cart.  In both instances,
the Carousel started to re-arm at the most inopportune time.  (I can't
remember whether it was the traying or rotating that did the most damage.)
At the Christmas party, I presented one of the victims with a "purple cart."
Nowadays, there would, probably, be an expensive lawsuit.

Gary, K?CX
Rapid City, SD