[BC] Wilma swept through Florida quickly - but the toll on radiowas nasty

gblau@jpc.com gblau
Tue Oct 25 21:37:09 CDT 2005

Power is out essentially everywhere.  It seems like 50% of all the trees
are down as well.
A massive mess that's going to take a good while to clean up.

We've stayed up, but all on generators everywhere.  FPL is saying
'weeks' until power is restored.  Here's a first:  we've already been
contacted by an FCC rep asking if we needed assistance from them, or
from FEMA in procuring fuel.  Since we're only good for maybe a week
we're trying to jump on that so as to not run short.

Damage to our facilities is minor: downed trees, lots of debris, bent
antennas, air conditioners with missing panels, sat dishes spun around
or damaged, snapped AM tower feeds, etc.

Don't know yet how other stations fared.

But no gas, no phones, no cells, no restaurants/food.

I sure hope it gets better quick.

Gary Blau
Jefferson-Pilot Communications
WLYF/WMXJ/WAXY, Miami