[BC] Early Radio Automation

Keith Hammond monsterfm
Tue Oct 25 02:27:53 CDT 2005

Phil
> Alexander

> Not long before you started I had done a number of installs
> for Gates/ATC and I know that Gates, probably Schaffer and
> IGM would agree with your recollection. In fact, we were
> building stereo automation systems mainly for this (the BM)
> market. The hotter formats were mainly cart based e.g., WRKO
> Boston which was a very large ATC SP-19 system, but those 14"
> Scully 270's thrived on a steady diet of Beautiful,
> frequently from IGM.

  You guys sure do know how to make a person miss the days (late 1960's)
of watching the reels spin, the carousels rotate and waiting to see
which reel would run-out first. Now, I'm wanting to build an old
automation "wall" again just to recreate those "good old days"! There
was something much more amazing in watching those systems than watching
a computer monitor. (Perhaps it was the knowledge that someone could
loose a finger at any time?)

Keith Hammond

KBKH-FM (Shamrock, Texas)

(806) 256-1221