[BC] Early Radio Automation

Phil Alexander" <dynotherm@earthlink.net reader
Tue Oct 25 00:59:59 CDT 2005

On 22 Oct 2005 at 22:36, Robert Orban wrote:

 > My recollection is that Beautiful Music was the format that actually drove
 > FM expansion in  the late '60s. Beautiful was either the #1 FM or close to
 > it in most markets back then. It was also cheap to do; no expensive
 > personalities :-). It was also easily automated.
 >
 > Bob Orban
 >
 > (whose first job in broadcasting was at WPAT in 1968)

Not long before you started I had done a number of installs for Gates/ATC
and I know that Gates, probably Schaffer and IGM would agree with your
recollection. In fact, we were building stereo automation systems mainly
for this (the BM) market. The hotter formats were mainly cart based e.g.,
WRKO Boston which was a very large ATC SP-19 system, but those 14"
Scully 270's thrived on a steady diet of Beautiful, frequently from IGM.

Phil Alexander, CSRE, AMD
(a Div. of Advanced Parts Corporation)
Ph. (317) 335-2065   FAX (317) 335-9037